Stumbling Along (with God!)
Bulletin: February 7, 2016
Rev. Dr. Axel Schoeber will be our guest preacher this Sunday for our final reflection on “Community”.
Today’s service is also a celebration of the Transfiguration of Jesus and will include communion.
- Praise: Agnus Dei; To God be the Glory (lyrics & melody, video, 2, author)
- Preparation: The Feast is Ready (lyrics & melody, video, author)
- Response: Be thou my Vision (lyrics & melody, video, choir, 2, acapella, Hutterite, background, meditation)
Rev. Axel Schoeber
Jesus’ ministry took a decisive turn into darkness after the transfiguration. The transfiguration stands at a turning point in the story of gospels and in the church calendar:
• It is the climax of Jesus’ ministry in Galilee and the culmination of all his miracles and teaching.
• It is the culmination and the climax of the season of epiphany – of God revealed on earth in Jesus.
• From the transfiguration, Jesus begins to travel to Jerusalem toward his crucifixion.
• It is also the turning point as we begin the season of lent.
Axel served as a pastor in four churches in the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada (CBWC – our denomination) over 26 years. He began teaching courses in church and baptist history in 2000. In 2009, Axel joined Carey Baptist Seminary full time as the Associate Professor of Supervised Ministry. All new CBWC pastors get to know him through Carey’s “Baptist Identity” course, through the denomination’s Internship Program and through ordination preparation. Axel is well-known and respected in our denomination as a mentor and leader.
Axel and his wife Karen live in Vancouver. They have two children, Kayely (a member here at FBC) and Trevor. Axel has several degrees in theology and history, and his specialty is the reformation era. Among other things, Axel is a serious and passionate soccer fan.